[petsc-dev] DMCreateMatrix_Shell

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 11:48:25 CST 2019

> On Feb 9, 2019, at 11:17 AM, Smith, Barry F. <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>

>  Hmm, why is this check wrong (though it may be incomplete)? Is there an example where it triggers an error when it shouldn’t?

Suppose in SNESSetJacobian  you don’t pass a matrix, and you don’t use a DM. DMShell will give you back an AIJ matrix by default.
Then, In the callback, you call MatSetType (which I presume is legal) on the matrix, with a type different than {MPI | Seq}AIJ
If you then call
SNESGetDM(snes,&dm)
DMCreateMatrix(dm,&A)\\ error!