[petsc-dev] [tao-comments #390396] TAO for GPU?

Munson, Todd tmunson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 3 15:37:04 CST 2018

Hi,

Let me include the pets-dev team in the discussion.  TAO uses the PETSc
matrices, vectors, and linear solvers our operations.  Some of the
operations already have GPU implementations.

In terms of the unconstrained solvers, the Newton methods are based on
the linear conjugate gradient methods, so the key operations are
matrix-vector products.

The quasi-Newton methods end up using a lot of vector operations to
apply the inverse of a rank-k matrix.  There may be an opportunity
to implement this operation more efficiently on a GPU using the
a matrix representation.

The nonlinear conjugate gradient methods basically use a "small" number of
vector operations; I am not sure how much benefit could be derived from a
GPU implementation of those.

Probably what I would do is to profile your problem and find out which
operations you need to make run faster and then see if if it makes
sense to do them on the GPU.

Note: I suspect a GPU only version of the Newton, quasi-Newton, or nonlinear
conjugate gradient methods would be difficult; the line search and function
evaluations would seem to be the biggest issue to put on a GPU.

Todd.