[petsc-dev] [issue1595] Issues of limited number of MPI communicators when having many instances of hypre boomerAMG with Moose

Li, Ruipeng li50 at llnl.gov
Tue Apr 3 17:30:51 CDT 2018

Hi, Fande,

"For instance, if an application has multiple fields and each field will be solved by a HYPRE solver,  then we end up with  multiple hypre solves. The multiple hypre solves are not run simultaneously, instead, it will be run one-by-one. If we assign the same communicator to the multiple hypre solves, any potential tag conflict?"

In this scenario, is just the solve phase of BoomerAMG one after another, or also the setup of AMG? Since BoomerAMG takes the communicator from the A matrix, if the entire hypre solve (setup + solve) is serial, there should be no conflicts.

-Ruipeng

 Ruipeng Li
 Center for Applied Scientific Computing
 Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory