[petsc-dev] [issue1595] Issues of limited number of MPI communicators when having many instances of hypre boomerAMG with Moose

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:03:59 CDT 2018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Rob Falgout hypre Tracker <
hypre-support at llnl.gov> wrote:

> Rob Falgout <rfalgout at llnl.gov> added the comment:
>
> In my opinion, if the user is doing something simultaneously with a hypre
> solve (not the typical case, I think), then they should be responsible for
> ensuring that the communicators don't conflict.  It will also be easier to
> control the number of communicators used in those situations where there
> are limits.

That seems like a solipsistic way to operate, and it does not scale very
well. Substitute "other library" for "user" in
what you said. Now all libraries but Hypre must protect themselves from
Hypre messages. Why is Hypre special?
Doesn't it seem like you guys should segregate your messages into a
different space?

   Matt