[petsc-dev] VecView HDF5 read / write partial array

Blaise A Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:32:43 CDT 2017

Hi,

Recent versions of exodus are implemented with netcdf4, which is based on hdf5.
Instead of going through the process of rewriting exodus viewers, I would like to use PETSc’s HDF5 I/O operations.
Problem is that as far as I can understand, exodus / netcdf does not use hdf5 time steps. Instead, it writes a single vector containing all values of a field at all time steps.
(i.e. if vij denotes the i^th component of v at time step j, v is written as a single array v11, v21, v31, . . ., v12, v22, v32, . . ., v13, v23,  . . .) and so on).
Is there a way to use VecView hdf5 to read/write only entries kn:(k+1)n-1 in an hdf5 file?

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA