[petsc-dev] broken nightlybuilds (next vs next-tmp)

Richard Tran Mills rtmills at anl.gov
Fri Nov 10 15:34:38 CST 2017

Hi Satish,

Thanks for taking the initiative to switch to testing next-tmp to help
clear up the constipation with moving things into master. It looks like
there hasn't been any graduation of the branches you've been putting into
next-tmp in a few days, though. Is this just because you haven't had time
to do any more of these merges, or are the tests breaking with next-tmp now?

If I go to the dashboard at
http://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/nightlylogs/archive/2017/11/10/next.html,
is this showing me the info for 'next' or 'next-tmp'? If it is showing me
'next', how do I find the results for 'next-tmp'?

If we think a branch may be ready for 'master', should we still be merging
to 'next', given it's current broken state?

Lastly, a question for everyone: If someone knows that they have merged
something into 'next' that has broken the builds or tests, and it is going
to be a while before this is fixed, should they revert that changeset in
'next'? I see some reverts in the 'next' logs, but not that many. Maybe
this is because it's not always easy to tell if one's particular changeset
broke things when there are all these other changes being merged.

--Richard