[petsc-dev] PETSc statistics

Sean Farley sean at farley.io
Thu Jun 8 14:05:39 CDT 2017

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Dave May <dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a place where I can find up-to-date statistics about the PETSc
>> user base?
>>
>> I was thinking about these metrics:
>> * average monthly downloads
>>

> This has email statistics: https://arxiv.org/abs/1510.01122
> Its very hard to get download statistics, since we cannot get them from
> Bitbucket, and we are at a lot of computing centers. However,
> last time we tried I think it was 400 downloads/month.

Hmmm, if only you knew of a former PETSc dev that works at Bitbucket. If
only. ;-)

So, I took this as a nice challenge to learn about our new logging tool.
It turns out that cost me actual money (running queries in AWS) so
consider this my belated birthday gift to Barry :-)

Unfortunately, we have no old data (at least that I could find) and
currently have a sliding window based on amount of data (not time). As
far as I can tell, we have about ~2.5 weeks of logs right now.

I can set up a weekly report it seems, so if you're interested in
getting a weekly report of stats, I can set that up.

Anyways, to answer Dave's original question (over a period of 7 days):

      https clones: 426
        ssh clones: 9
archiver downloads: 1152

"archiver" means someone downloaded it via the web interface (e.g.
download a zip file of a specific tag)

But what about country / region? Well, I've attached a PDF of a fancy
map (final row is a sum):