[petsc-dev] Matrix-free preconditioners

Chris Eldred chris.eldred at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 04:19:54 CST 2017

Hey Petsc Dev,

I had some questions about preconditioners, and I was hoping the list
could help me out. Specifically, if I have a MatShell with the ability
to compute the diagonal of the matrix; and a geometric multigrid
hierarchy with appropriate operators defined; what are my
preconditioner options?

>From reading the manual and the doc pages, it appears that my options are
1) Jacobi (and block variants)
2) Multigrid
plus the ability to use Fieldsplit for block matrices. Then within
multigrid, any iterative KSP (ie one that requires only matrix-vector
products) can be used as a smoother, with the basic ones being
Chebyshev and Richardson using Jacobi as a preconditioner.

Is this correct? Is there anything else?

Regards,
Chris Eldred

--
Chris Eldred