[petsc-dev] Picard with TS

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 3 10:45:16 CST 2017

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 7:29 AM, Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> wrote:
>

> > But I see that IFunction is not correct. I am solving du/dt - C(u) = 0.
>
>     Do you mean du/dt - c(u)* u = 0?
>
> yes,
>

> >  My IFunction applies C(u)*u, but LandSNESFunction should just return zero, maybe?
>
>     If you are solving du/dt - c(u)*u = with backward Euler then it can be written as
>
> u^{n+1}  - u^n
>       dt
>
>   or     (I - dt*c(u^{n+1})u^{n+1})u^{n+1}  = u^n

    I have an extra u^{n+1} in the above it should be

      (I - dt*c(u^{n+1}))u^{n+1}  = u^n

> OK, this makes sense, but I think I can use backward Euler as you say below. I am just trying to match what others are doing to make sure that I am not missing something algorithmically.

     This is a good idea. Sometimes paper's don't give enough clear information to determine exactly what they are doing.

> They are using BE, as I recall now. I am now using C-N now. I think I can assure myself that BE with Newton is pretty much the same as Picard and BE.

   Not sure what you mean by "pretty much the same", but they are definitely IMHO pretty different. The matrix created in each case is different and the convergence of both the linear and nonlinear iteration will be different. Hopefully the Newton convergence will be quadratic while the Picard will not be.

   Barry