[petsc-dev] using visibility by default?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 2 21:59:57 CST 2016

  Jed,

  Any reason we should not turn on --with-visibility by default when it works?

  def checkVisibility(self):
    if self.argDB['with-visibility']:
      if not self.checkCompile('','__attribute__((visibility ("default"))) int foo(void);'):
        raise RuntimeError('Cannot use visibility attributes')
      self.addDefine('USE_VISIBILITY',1)

Currently we don't seem to use it hence to what end?

  Barry

I came across this because I noticed we currently had a huge amount of private symbols exposed for no apparent reason except lack of testing/use.