[petsc-dev] CheckPointer

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:52:50 CDT 2013

Hey Jed,

The overhead is big.
Here are some numbers I generated which prompted Matt's email.

All the total run times reported are almost entirely associated with matrix
assembly.
All builds used --with-debugging=yes

Time (sec):           6.285e+00 [petsc v3.2]
Time (sec):           1.966e+02 [petsc v3.4]
Time (sec):           8.960e+00 [petsc v3.4 with a hacked checkptr.c which
skips the checking]

Calls to MatSetValue  5955066
Calls to MatSetValues 11910132

[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Matrix size: 13473 X 13473; storage space: 0
unneeded,1359333 used
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Number of mallocs during MatSetValues() is 0
[0] MatAssemblyEnd_SeqAIJ(): Maximum nonzeros in any row is 226

Cheers,
  Dave