[petsc-dev] PetscIntialize docs

Mark F. Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Thu Sep 5 14:25:01 CDT 2013

On Sep 5, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Satish Balay wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Mark F. Adams wrote:
>
>>> I wanted to not have files get checked and added -skip_petscrc to
>>> the command line but this was not sufficient.  I needed to change
>>> the code to use NULL (or I told my user to do so).
>
> Was 'useroptfile' causing some problem - or is it that you wanted to
> avoid it for some other reason?

This was the problem with Mira that we went through with Jeff H. last week.  Where getting the home directory was failing occasionally and hanging the system.  So I was told to use -skip_petscrc on the command line, which failed to get the code to skip the (user) RC file.  In looking at the code I realized that you need to not give PetscInitialize() an RC file name.   So we need to change the code slightly but it took a while to figure that out (e.g., I had to look at the source).