[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint] valgrind detected on /usr/local/include and enabled but header files from this dir are not added to build path

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 29 13:59:49 CDT 2013

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> >    Or simpler just have the —with-clean nuke external packages; makes
> >    life easy.  By "store the tarballs in a common place” and SHA1 crap
> >    you are making the system more complicated to understand and
> >    maintain.
>
> People will complain when they have to download the same tarball many
> times.  But I don't especially care as long as the builds are done
> inside $PETSC_ARCH instead of in a common place.  (This is also useful
> when building multiple configurations of PETSc in parallel.)

There is also the issue with git repos to deal with. [presumably the
above logic would be slightly different than the tarballs]

We [Jed and I ] also discussed having git repos and corresponding
tarballs match - and caching tarballs locally for unreliable external
sites. And then using SHA as a way of versioning to eliminate most
cases where with-clean would be needed.

Just a note: all these issues are primarily with git users - not
petsc-release/tarball users.

Satish