[petsc-dev] bad advice? TSStep has failed due to DIVERGED_NONLINEAR_SOLVE, increase -ts_max_snes_failures or make negative to attempt recovery!

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 22 11:58:37 CDT 2013

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Christophe Ortiz <christophe.ortiz at ciemat.es>
>>
>> [0]PETSC ERROR:   !
>> [0]PETSC ERROR: TSStep has failed due to DIVERGED_NONLINEAR_SOLVE, increase -ts_max_snes_failures or make negative to attempt recovery!
>>

>    Do we really want this as a our "helpful message" here? Usually the
>    problem is a bad Jacobian etc which the person needs to track
>    down. It would be better if this instead listed an FAQ question
>    with information (and links there) to all possible causes of the
>    problem and how to track it down.  Just allowing failure here is
>    not the first step one should take I think.

Hmm, this is not uncommon if solving a strongly nonlinear problem,
especially when using crude error tolerance.  So for the expert user,
this error is usually offering the right guidance.  To accommodate the
error-prone user, it would be fine to use a link to a web page
explaining the steps to debug.