[petsc-dev] bad advice? TSStep has failed due to DIVERGED_NONLINEAR_SOLVE, increase -ts_max_snes_failures or make negative to attempt recovery!

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 22 07:01:54 CDT 2013

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Christophe Ortiz <christophe.ortiz at ciemat.es>
>
> [0]PETSC ERROR:   !
> [0]PETSC ERROR: TSStep has failed due to DIVERGED_NONLINEAR_SOLVE, increase -ts_max_snes_failures or make negative to attempt recovery!

   Do we really want this as a our "helpful message" here? Usually the problem is a bad Jacobian etc which the person needs to track down. It would be better if this instead listed an FAQ question with information (and links there) to all possible causes of the problem and how to track it down.  Just allowing failure here is not the first step one should take I think.