[petsc-dev] Push restrictions on branches

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 21 06:14:35 CDT 2013

Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> Thanks! That should avoid accidental pushes to branches if git is not
> configured to use the 'simple' push.default.

Yeah, I was worried about sometimes asking people to force-push branches
when they also have the ability to force-push integration branches.

For this reason, I was recommending the syntax

  $ git push origin +your/branch-name

over

  $ git push --force          # assume branch upstream has already been set

since the latter depends on push.default.  I still recommend the
explicit version for this, but it's less dangerous now since people
rarely check out non-integration branches that are not their own.