[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 13 11:35:47 CDT 2013

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013, Aron Ahmadia wrote:

> One final response then :)
>
> > 1) where to put debug versions of libraries
>
> You mean /usr/lib/debug?

yes - most distributions have a standard way of handling debug symbols.

wrt 'debug libraries' we use [perhaps extra-error-checking is more
decriptive] - its similar to multiple variants of libraries [complex,
64bit-indices, extra-error-checking etc] - -I thikk some distros have
a way to handle this.

> > and 2) fortran modules.
>
> Almost nobody in the greater Linux community uses Fortran.  Small
> languages have small impact on packaging standards.

Fedora appears to have some guildelines from packaging point of view for fortran modules
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Fortran

I guess there are 2 things here..

1. What should our orgainzation of stuff be wrt our prefix install.

2. how do we support different distros that have different guidelines for say f90-module location.

Satish