[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 13 13:06:58 CDT 2013

On Oct 13, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> wrote:

> One final response then :)
>
>> 1) where to put debug versions of libraries
>
> You mean /usr/lib/debug?
>
>> and 2) fortran modules.
>
> Almost nobody in the greater Linux community uses Fortran.  Small
> languages have small impact on packaging standards.

  I just had to listen to a long lecture about how we need to do things in the style of gnu/linux because that is where the HPC community! But, in fact, well over half the HPC community is Fortran based so it seems to me if we were to pander to a particular community it should be the fortran community, not the gnu/linux community.

  We do pander a bit too much to the gnu/linux community and not enough to the others.

  Enough messing around, let's get make install fixed for 3.5 and support /usr/lib/debug etc with it.