[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 12 10:26:27 CDT 2013

Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> The PR has raised a few issues in what PETSc does when it performs a
> prefix install.  In particular, PETSc generates the following files:
>
> $PREFIX/include/makefile
> $PREFIX/lib/modules/3.4.1
>
> Neither of these have been properly namespaced.  I'd suggest changing these to:
>
> $PREFIX/include/petsc/makefile
> $PREFIX/lib/modules/petsc/3.4.1

Hmm, prefix install looks like a mess.

* all the ftn-auto tmpdir stuff should _not_ be installed
* include/mpiuni should only be installed when mpiuni is selected
* the HTML files should never be installed
* makefiles in the include directories should never be installed
* conf/ stuff should only install rules and variables, but need to namespace
* bin/maint/* cannot be installed under those names
* same story with bin/matlab; it should go in $prefix/share/petsc/
* non-namespaced stuff in bin/ must be eradicated
* lib/modules should be lib/petsc/modules or similar
* lib/.DIR must not be installed
* $prefix/.nagged must not be installed

We really need to fix all of this for v3.5.

> I'm not sure about the latter, I really don't know how package
> managers deal with local modules install, or if it's worth even
> putting it in if the user is requesting a PREFIX install.
>
> Another option would be to include the PETSc ARCH in the directory namespacing:
>
> $PREFIX/include/petsc/linux-gnu/makefile
> $PREFIX/lib/modules/petsc/linux-gnu/3.4.1

I think we decided that with prefix installs, people use a different
prefix to distinguish different PETSC_ARCH.  Do you want to revisit that
choice?  I'm not sure about versioning, but it seems to me that it's
moot until we start using soname versioning.  How would the user select
which version of PETSc they want to use?