[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Aron Ahmadia aron at ahmadia.net
Sat Oct 12 10:38:12 CDT 2013

Hi Jed,

> Hmm, prefix install looks like a mess.

I was hoping this wasn't the case :(

> We really need to fix all of this for v3.5.

This would be really nice.

> I think we decided that with prefix installs, people use a different
> prefix to distinguish different PETSC_ARCH.  Do you want to revisit that
> choice?

I'm okay with using a different prefix to determine a different
PETSC_ARCH.  This is one of the core ideas facilitated by HashDist.  I
just wanted to raise it up as another option.

> I'm not sure about versioning, but it seems to me that it's
> moot until we start using soname versioning.  How would the user select
> which version of PETSc they want to use?

Let's pretend I didn't bring it up :)

The important case to satisfy here is allowing a system package
manager (brew, dpkg, rpm) to have a decent shot at building a
reasonably contained, functional install of PETSc using a --prefix
install.  I do like the ability to compile tutorial examples from a
PETSc install, and this currently works in a --prefix install.  Your
laundry list looks good to me.  Anything else to add Dominique?