[petsc-dev] testing before merging to master

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 25 14:17:53 CST 2013

On Nov 25, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >>      Hanging around in next is not going to make a test suite magically
>>>     become better!!!!
>>
>> No, but eager external users might trip bugs if there are any, versus
>> merging to 'master' where it would affect the stability-seeking external
>> users.  There are always unexpected things that some applications do
>> that are not in the test suite, though we should strive to avoid such
>> things.
>
> Second this!
>
>>>   Ok, let’s formalize this and you tell us how to automate finding the “TODO” list for these branches:
>>>
>>>    1) What is the format of the “TODO” list?  For example “Todo-before-merge-to-master: ….” ?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>>>    2) What git command do I use to list all branches merged into next (but not master) with todo lists and what is in each todo’s list?
>>
>> I would do two passes, one to find all the unmerged branches (that's the
>> alias you already have), then a
>>
>>   git log --grep $branchname --first-parent master..next
>>
>> and extract the TODO tag.
>
> I'm fine with both 1) and 2). In addition, as soon as we have agree'd on a suitable format, I'll add a script to automatically extract this information and ask Satish to put the resulting HTML page to the Nightly logs folder. Which information do we want to have there?
> - Branchname (includes owner information)

   absolutely
> - Last Commit

   absolutely

> - Todo

   Yes

> - merged to master (yes/no)

   Yes

   We can worry about format as you go along.   You could start with (sorted from worst branch to best branch)

   Branchname merged to master yes/no latest commit

   Todo info

   All errors detected on that branch

   Next branch name  merged to master yes/no latest commit

   Next todo

   next all errors

   etc etc

   Barry