[petsc-dev] testing before merging to master

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 25 14:04:17 CST 2013

Hi,

 >>      Hanging around in next is not going to make a test suite magically
>>      become better!!!!
>
> No, but eager external users might trip bugs if there are any, versus
> merging to 'master' where it would affect the stability-seeking external
> users.  There are always unexpected things that some applications do
> that are not in the test suite, though we should strive to avoid such
> things.

Second this!

>>    Ok, let’s formalize this and you tell us how to automate finding the “TODO” list for these branches:
>>
>>     1) What is the format of the “TODO” list?  For example “Todo-before-merge-to-master: ….” ?
>
> Sure.
>
>>     2) What git command do I use to list all branches merged into next (but not master) with todo lists and what is in each todo’s list?
>
> I would do two passes, one to find all the unmerged branches (that's the
> alias you already have), then a
>
>    git log --grep $branchname --first-parent master..next
>
> and extract the TODO tag.

I'm fine with both 1) and 2). In addition, as soon as we have agree'd on
a suitable format, I'll add a script to automatically extract this
information and ask Satish to put the resulting HTML page to the Nightly
logs folder. Which information do we want to have there?
  - Branchname (includes owner information)
  - Last Commit
  - Todo
  - merged to master (yes/no)
  - Number of errors/warnings on a standard build? Might be expensive to
check all branches. Maybe run this on a different (non-Nightly) machine?
  - anything else?
With such a summary we should also be able to delete branches XY (30?
90?) days after they have been merged to master.

Best regards,
Karli