[petsc-dev] viewing factored matrices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 22 19:12:24 CST 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>   Sure, but so what? The setfromoptions has to be recalled on all the
>>   levels anyways and relative to setting up the GAMG the calls to the
>>   setfromoptions is not an issue.
>
> Fair enough.  GAMG is always expensive enough that it's okay to run
> through the SetFromOptions on each setup.

  I think I realized now why you kept harping on this. When I said "not checking options in the computation line" I was too imprecise.  More precisely what I mean is

   XXSetFromOptions() should never be called where it actually cannot do anything (besides checking lots of strings) because it has already been called on the same configuration. And since the options database hasn’t changed the options will be set but they will be set with the exact same values as before.