[petsc-dev] Running dsymutil in GNU make build

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 11:03:28 CST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > BTW: the 'shared' target from gmakefile is not protable. [It expects
> > all compilers to support '-shared' option]. How do we fix this?
>
> In conf/rules, why does shared_linux use CLINKER while shared_darwin
> uses LD_SHARED?

CLINKER was historically used. If LD_SHARED is more appropriate - we
could switch to it.

OSX started with PCC - and then switched to LD_SHARED at some point..

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/a12d32f7af6f5098c41b081481fb0b3b0db00b6a

> One fix is to include the -shared or -dynamiclib in the macro that goes
> into petscvariables.
>
> How does current gmakefile work on Macs now?  Is -dynamiclib
> interchangeable with -shared?

Perhaps so. I don't see issues in the nightlybuilds.

> Do we still need special rules for FreeBSD and Solaris?

Since its working in nightlybuilds - nothing to worry about?
[until we try out dlls on windows.]

Satish