[petsc-dev] Running dsymutil in GNU make build

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 10:08:41 CST 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> BTW: the 'shared' target from gmakefile is not protable. [It expects
> all compilers to support '-shared' option]. How do we fix this?

In conf/rules, why does shared_linux use CLINKER while shared_darwin
uses LD_SHARED?

One fix is to include the -shared or -dynamiclib in the macro that goes
into petscvariables.

How does current gmakefile work on Macs now?  Is -dynamiclib
interchangeable with -shared?

Do we still need special rules for FreeBSD and Solaris?  FreeBSD uses
Clang/LLVM now (it GCC before) and the Solaris compilers support -shared
(though the man page only documents -G).