[petsc-dev] Ongoing formatting changes

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 28 16:21:51 CST 2013

Hi Jed,

 >     I'm already on the final round of formatting updates. Currently I'm
>     only meld-ing diff's with uncrustify-output, so this should be done
>     by the end of the month (yes, it's the 28th already...).
>

> Are you massaging the merges or just tweaking the scripts?

Currently massaging merges. There are some cases where uncrustify
produces bad formatting, but the same switch leads to better formatting
in other cases. Hence, I'm currently stepping through the files with
this extra switches enabled and then later for a 'scripted version' I'll
turn those extra switches off again.

>     There are basically two types of updates currently applied:
>       a) Add/Remove whitespace. This should not interfere significantly
>     since line numbers don't change.
>

> Even whitespace changes mess up the default merge algorithms (each
> person has to configure suitable "ignore-whitespace" settings).

Hmm, not so good...

>     Yep, this why I put in all my effort into this (formatting, testing,
>     Doxygen) now. It's certainly not the most fun work to do, but as
>     soon as Jed mentioned that we want to go for a release soon, I found
>     it to be the best time *now*.
>

> Okay, I don't know what others think, but I wouldn't expect it to be
> feasible to do Doxygen-only for the release, but the doxygen site can
> probably be run alongside the current pages.

I don't expect Doxygen-only either for the next release, there's still
too much Fortran-stuff attached to sowing. Running a Doxygen site in
parallel is an option iff Doxygen is the way to go in the long run.
Otherwise, this will only screw up search engine results and finally
create dead links over time and should thus be avoided...

Best regards,
Karli