[petsc-dev] Nightly tests quick summary page

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 23 22:28:57 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> It's also a matter of the need for a 'yes/no'-testing. Running a fixed
> test like
>  if (err > eps) fail_test();
> is probably too harsh and we instead use some kind of continuous metric to
> judge the outcome of the test.

Agreed, but note that an arbitrarily small continuum difference can force
an additional iteration. Maybe our tests should be configured to "always
run exactly 10 iterations". I wonder if a Bayesian filter could be trained
to recognize real failures.

> Speaking of a HTML table, something that is spinning in my head for a long
> time already is that one can easily draw diagrams automatically showing the
> convergence history of the residual norm obtained in a test run. Coloring
> the frame of the plot proportional to the relative deviation from a
> reference convergence history gives you a quick idea of how far a test is
> off the reference. It won't work for all tests, but it gives you on idea
> about the sanity of the implementation.

I spend years trying to convince people to use actual norms instead of jpeg
semi-norms and now you want to reverse that? Blasphemy!

Actually, that's an interesting idea. I guess it could be presented in a
more compressed way than the numerical values, thus providing a better
summary.