[petsc-dev] Nightly tests quick summary page

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 23 22:13:38 CST 2013

Hi,

> MOOSE puts all their test output into exodus files and uses exodiff.
> That has the advantage of being structured enough that it can be diffed
> with rtol and atol.
>
> OTOH, we have a challenge that's mostly distinct from a discretization
> package. We're not testing error in a discretization (which is
> unchanging as long as the discretization doesn't change), we're testing
> the intermediate, unconverged values, and comparing error using relative
> tolerance (versus absolute tolerance, which would be better).

It's also a matter of the need for a 'yes/no'-testing. Running a fixed
test like
  if (err > eps) fail_test();
is probably too harsh and we instead use some kind of continuous metric
to judge the outcome of the test. Speaking of a HTML table, something
that is spinning in my head for a long time already is that one can
easily draw diagrams automatically showing the convergence history of
the residual norm obtained in a test run. Coloring the frame of the plot
proportional to the relative deviation from a reference convergence
history gives you a quick idea of how far a test is off the reference.
It won't work for all tests, but it gives you on idea about the sanity
of the implementation.

> As we attempt to make our interfaces better for graphical front-ends and
> automatic high-level controllers, I think we should try to use monitors
> that provide structured output. This could be a JSON file with object
> identification and convergence history or perhaps a sqlite database. I
> suspect we could deal with most of our FP-sensitive testing with only a
> handful of structured monitors. Providing this structured output is
> providing an API so we should try to rapidly converge on an extensible
> data model that can be relatively stable.

I'm afraid I don't know enough details on how testing is done currently
in order to contribute something useful to the discussion on such
structured output...

Best regards,
Karli