[petsc-dev] SNES for 2x2 problems

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:16:57 CST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Matt, you know how we always tell people not to use KSP (or even Lapack)
> for 2x2 problems? Surely the same advice applies to SNES, but your point
> location code is doing it.

Yep. The wrapping overhead is far less with some Newton iterations, and we
have no good alternative.

> Also, please remember to test that complex actually works before declaring
> it fixed. I just cleaned up a bunch more stuff, including pain invoked by
> SNES operating in PetscScalar for those 2x2 point location problems.
>

> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/commits/0213b4504a412b7304d6032d6047079603a8c2c8

We need to get mixed-mode working. This kind of programming is far to
inconvenient and ugly, especially
for small side problems like these that are never ever ever intended to
support complex.

> To be vectorization-friendly, I would write point location to operate
> directly on a batch of points, wrapped in the little Newton loop (not
> SNES). Maybe this implementation of yours is a reference that you're
> planning to replace?

Yes, this is for a very small number of point locations necessary for
seismic sources, not intended for
inter-mesh interpolation or anything that fills up the mesh.