[petsc-dev] SNES for 2x2 problems

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 2 15:21:22 CST 2013

Matt, you know how we always tell people not to use KSP (or even Lapack)
for 2x2 problems? Surely the same advice applies to SNES, but your point
location code is doing it.

Also, please remember to test that complex actually works before declaring
it fixed. I just cleaned up a bunch more stuff, including pain invoked by
SNES operating in PetscScalar for those 2x2 point location problems.

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/commits/0213b4504a412b7304d6032d6047079603a8c2c8

To be vectorization-friendly, I would write point location to operate
directly on a batch of points, wrapped in the little Newton loop (not
SNES). Maybe this implementation of yours is a reference that you're
planning to replace?