[petsc-dev] MatLUFactor is an orphan

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 20 18:22:02 CDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   I believe MatLUFactor() is pretty bogus anyways. In place LU
> factorization only makes sense for dense matrices (LAPACK and LINPACK).
>
>    This is currently an interface to Elemental for MatLUFactor().
>
>   Should we change it to MatDenseLUFactor()?  No solver package business
> needed separately since Elemental is its own matrix type anyway.

Meh, I don't have a problem leaving it, but maybe the out-of-place version
like in MatLUFactor_SeqAIJ() should be pushed up to MatLUFactor() so it can
do something reasonable when the function pointer isn't set.

I was just annoyed that a formerly serial example didn't run in parallel
because it called MatLUFactor.