[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] MatTransposeMatMult ends up with an MPI error

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 17 15:35:45 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > No. The problem is that Open MPI does not fix their critical bugs, they
> just downgrade them from "blocker" so they can make a release. It's not
> easy for them to fix because they need to refactor some lower level
> protocols.
>
>    Ahh yes. It is nice to have a sophisticated bug tracking system; it
> makes it easy to relabel bugs with a single click to avoid doing work. We
> should add this to PETSc :-)

At least there is a place I can refer people to the open tickets. A dead
thread on a mailing list is much worse evidence of a known bug.

Good thing we have a ticket people can watch to get news of the
work-around. ;-)

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/issue/9/implement-petscsf-without-one-sided

>    BTW: Shouldn't you have configure detect this issue and turnoff the
> building of SF or print appropriate error messages so we don't get these
> confusing petsc-maint that only you can understand?

We can't detect it without either (a) running MPI code or (b) blacklisting
Open MPI.