[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 13:40:52 CDT 2012

2012/3/25 Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov>

> The key here is for the user to be aware that the layout is not normal.

Well, what is "normal"? The way the package recommends and the way all
other packages are organized, or the way an unknowing user might lay things
out?

> I agree - There is a bit of autodetection with --with-package-dir
> option. But if one knows include,lib details and want to specify these
> details --with-package-include, --with-package-lib are appropriate
> options.
>
> And with default layout - one should expect both modes to work.
>

> > What other package ever uses --prefix=.../include? Every one I know of
> > would expect you to say --prefix=/opt/local/ and it would place headers
> in
> > /opt/local/include.
>
> Well this package is trying to organize itself within 'cuda include'
> package orgainzation.  I think this is smilar to the way 'perl' or
> 'python' modules organize themselves within their respective trees.

With Python, I say --prefix=/opt/local and it puts things in
/opt/local/lib/python3.2/site-packages. There is a PYTHONPATH environment
variable that points to the inner directory, but I have always thought
--with-foo-dir= should be thought of as matching a --prefix option.