[petsc-dev] Help with configure and cmake

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Mar 11 09:41:42 CST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 13:02, Jose E. Roman <jroman at dsic.upv.es> wrote:

> I have been adding support for cmake in SLEPc. My simple approach is:
> 1) generate a SLEPcConfig.cmake file
> 2) generate CMakeLists.txt with a cmakegen module adapted from petsc-dev
> 3) run cmake with a cmakeboot module adapted from petsc-dev
>
> Step 3 loads RDict and uses 'script' to process all PETSc configuration.
> The problem comes with prefix-based installations of PETSc, since 'script'
> is not available.

Seems to me that necessary script support should be installed with prefix
installs too. I do not understand why "script" is such a cumbersome beast to
actually use, but it could be installed. However, exposing it to users turns
much of BuildSystem into a public API. This does not seem like a good idea,
especially with Barry's recent "cll" proposal for a much simpler alternative
to parts of BuildSystem.

As a long-term solution, I think we should install a pkgconfig file and/or a
"petsc-config" script that knows about compilers, how to link shared versus
static, etc.

> Can anyone suggest a solution for this? Maybe use Jed's FindPETSc.cmake
> module?

If you decide to use it, let me know if you find any problems. Writing
significant logic in cmake-script is no fun.