[petsc-dev] new configuration/compile system for PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jul 9 10:41:34 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 16:48, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>     X    1) Portability to Windows, Cygwin, Unix (all versions)
>         2) Compatible with GUI development systems (Xcode, Eclipse, Emacs,
> ...)

We can support the systems that we use, but I fear that this task will
become endless.

>         3) Able to run parallel configures and builds (on shared memory
> system enough?)

Probably, distcc can also be used if distributed-memory is needed.

>         5) Able to handle dependencies between packages (given dependencies
> between packages builds everything in the correct order)

This is important and also quite tricky, especially when dependencies vary
based on configuration options.

I think we need to be more precise about how to handle packages that depend
on PETSc relative to packages that PETSc (optionally) depends on. And how
central would PETSc be in this new package management system?