[petsc-dev] broken builds

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 30 16:10:00 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 16:02, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  I don't see any business model where it would make sense for us to try to
> turn the --download feature into a fully robust package model. Just a big
> time sink and the only reward is the developers don't need to worry about
> using rm once in a while.

Good point. I won't bother trying to do this unless I think of a way to do
it very simply (e.g. if our tools get better).

But note that our users do complain about configure taking 2^{1 + millions
of dollars} to finish, so I think a genuinely parallel configuration system
is something we should keep in mind with whatever revamping we do after the
3.2 release.