[petsc-dev] Why is -I$PETSC_DIR/src/dm/mesh/sieve in CLINKER even when configured without Sieve?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 12 16:41:37 CDT 2010

  One of the reasons for the repetitive -I and -L stuff in PETSc make lines is that in conf/variables we constructed some variables by adding two variables together that each individually had duplicates eliminated but the result did not have duplicates eliminated.

  I have moved this concatenation of variables back to PETSc/Configure.py so that the duplicates can be eliminated. Specifically this basically means merging the PACKAGES_LIBS and PACKAGES_INCLUDES with the basic libs and and includes before dumping to the conf/variables file

  As always there are likely to be problems crop up with some cases, maybe with shared libraries, with --prefix builds etc. Please report problems to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov

  Barry

More cleanup could be done to eliminate information on individual packages from going into petscvariables etc