[petsc-dev] Location for tutorial codes

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 7 20:36:00 CDT 2010

On May 7, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

> Barry,
>
> there are 2 ways of grouping - one is a prefix, the other is a subdir.
>
> The release repos were already grouped with a common prifix - so it
> didn't need a subdir regrouping. [however this forces url changes for
> folks with these clones]. Plus the names don't pass your check for
> duplicate info.

   I agree.

> petsc-releases/petsc-release-2.3.1
>
> Tutorials were not already grouped [so either a rename or a subdir was
> appropriate change]

  Actually the tutorials did have TutorialCode in all their names so they now have duplicate names.

> If release clones were to be better grouped, perhaps the following
> organization is better.
>
> releases/petsc-2.3.1
> releases/petsc-3.0.0
> releases/BuildSystem-2.3.1
> releases/BuildSystem-3.0.0

  I prefer using subdirectory names rather than "prefix" in a file name; after all that is what subdirectories are for, otherwise we might as well just use one directory for everything.

   Feel free to remove the duplicate parts of the file names.

   Barry

> [but this requires renaming the parent url aswell as clone names [since some of us
> usually use the same name for clones as the master repo]
>
> Satish
>

> On Fri, 7 May 2010, Barry Smith wrote:
>

>>  I have moved the tutorials into a tutorials subdirectory (I did not change the name of the individual directories so they still end in TutorialCode.
>>

>>  Also made a BuildSystem-releases and petsc-releases and move the old releases into there. People WILL NEED to update there .hg/hgrc for their clones.
>>
>>  There is a petsc-dev-for-fixes and petsc-dev-new-solvers and petsc-dev-dalcinl can I delete those?
>>
>>   Barry

>>> I don't think I can do that sort of thing since I can't log into the
>>> machine.  Perhaps one of you can do that, or at least create the new
>>> directory (so the URL in my slides will be stable for a while after