[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #49590] problem building petsc-dev

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 16 20:39:08 CDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Barry Smith wrote:

>   I think Satish is right we should have
>
> --with-shared-libraries
> --with-dynamic-loading
>
>   I haven't made this change but I've changed
>
> improved help message for --with-shared	and --with-dynamic
> made --with-dynamic require --with-shared
> make --with-shared NOT allow --with-pic=0

Barry,

With this change one has to always do the following for sharedlibs:

--with-pic=1 --with-shared=1

and for dynamic libraries.

--with-pic=1 --with-shared=1 --with-dynamic=1

Earlier behavior was for --with-pic to be implicitly enabled for
with-shared or with-dynamic. It would be good to retain the old
behavior.

Part of the problem is: configure cannot distinguish between user
provided value vs configure default value - for any given option. So
we can't do both:

* default-pic=disabled but  autoenable if  user provides --with-shared=1
* if user provides '--with-pic=0 --with-shared=1' - flag as error.

[I didn't remember this part - when I started this thread about this
issue. Looks like we should silently ignore --with-pic - when
--with-shared is enabled]

Satish