[petsc-maint #38919] Re: stupid, stupid, stupid MPI.py

Lisandro Dalcín dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:26:30 CST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Knepley
<petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 14, 2009, at 8:16 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>>
>>> I strongly disagree with this change. I would like to back it out until
>>> we discuss it. The correct
>>> thing to do is use --with-shared FOR ALL shared library build requests.
>>> Why should MPI be
>>> different? There is absolutely no need to multiply the mechanisms here.
>>
>>   Yes there is. I want to build MPI shared libraries but not PETSc shared
>> libraries.
>
> Why?

If you build MPI shared but PETSc static, we are still able to use
mpi4py+petsc4py (and stop there, no chance to add slepc4py to the
sum). Using a static PETSc is strongly discouraged, but anyway
possible, provided that MPI is shared.

--
Lisandro Dalcín