petscvariables: hardwired build dir instead of install dir

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 24 22:38:35 CDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:25 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>>
>>    Matt,
>>
>>     The sed is so trivial it is silly to even think about replacing
>> it with python!  I did not realize until after reading Lisandro's
>> email
>
> What does that have to do with anything? If its so trivial, then it
> won't
> take any time at all. This is at least the third time I have had to
> fool
> with this sed stuff (I already reported that sed bug two months ago).
> I do not want to do it again. Is there any justification, except
> inertia,
> for keeping that in sed?

    Not having hundreds of dinky little python scripts lying around
that do the same thing as Unix utilities is a good reason.

   If you write the entire "install:" rule in python that would be
great,
then you could start on some of the other rules in conf/rules
I am only objecting to replacing Unix one-liners with python one liners.

    Barry