petscvariables: hardwired build dir instead of install dir

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:25:13 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>     Matt,
>
>      The sed is so trivial it is silly to even think about replacing
>  it with python!  I did not realize until after reading Lisandro's email

What does that have to do with anything? If its so trivial, then it won't
take any time at all. This is at least the third time I have had to fool
with this sed stuff (I already reported that sed bug two months ago).
I do not want to do it again. Is there any justification, except inertia,
for keeping that in sed?

  Matt

>  that the sed -i option behaved differently on different systems.
>
>     Barry
>

>  On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:07 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
>  > wrote:
>  >>
>  >> On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>  >>> Barry, things are still broken. I think that at some point we have
>  >>> review the 'install:' target  more carefully.
>  >>>
>  >>> First, the 'sed' command i being called in a wrong way.
>  >>
>  >>    This is not true; the sed is being called correctly. The problem
>  >> is that -i
>  >> is not a standard sed option and different systems gnu and freebsd
>  >> treat
>  >> it differently. freebsd requires a space between the -i and the
>  >> suffix;
>  >> gnu has no space; gnu also allows the use of -i to indicate no backup
>  >> while freebsd expects -i ""
>  >>
>  >>   Your patch works on POS gnu systems, but is broken on far superior
>  >> Apple MacOS X systems! :-)
>  >>
>  >>    Matt you need to add a config/configure.py test to detect the
>  >> type of sed -i it is.
>  >
>  > I totally disagree. We should ditch all this crap, and just write
>  > nice, PORTABLE
>  > Python code. I will do it. I just need someone to explain what this
>  > sed is doing.
>  >
>  >   Matt
>  >
>  > --
>  > What most experimenters take for granted before they begin their
>  > experiments is infinitely more interesting than any results to which
>  > their experiments lead.
>  > -- Norbert Wiener
>  >

their experiments lead.