New approach for external direct solvers in PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 25 17:02:31 CDT 2008

    petsc-dev users,

      I have finally completed my changes to PETSc for a new approach
to accessing external direct solvers
in PETSc like Spooles, MUMPS etc. I will be pushing it to petsc-dev
sometime the middle of next week.
If you are using the direct solvers you might consider cloning from

http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/hg/petsc/petsc-dev-new-solvers  or

ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//hg/petsc/petsc-dev-new-solvers

and trying it out before then. Please report problem to petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
  as you hit them.

    Barry

 From the changes file

The "parallel direct solver" matrix types like
MATAIJSPOOLES are ALL gone. Now you use -pc_factor_mat_solver_package
spooles etc or PCFactorSetMatSolverPackage() or if working directly with
matrices, MatGetFactor(A,MATSPOOLES,...)