where should config/configure.py put its log

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 17 21:12:26 CST 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Barry Smith wrote:

>  Currently, make all results in the log file in $PETSC_ARCH/conf regardless of
> whether the
> make is good or bad
>
>  Meanwhile config/configure.py puts the running logfile into configure.log and
> ON SUCCESS
> it moves the result to $PETSC_ARCH/conf
>
>  I don't think this is best. I propose that configure.log be built directly in
> $PETSC_ARCH/conf
> Reasons:
> 1) When we tell people to send us configure.log we don't have to say: "if
> config/configure.py failed
> send us configure.log if it succeeded send us $PETSC_ARCH/conf/configure.log"
> This will be confusing
> to people who may not even understand if it succeeded or not.
> 2) consistency, it is confusing to have it done differently from the make.
>
> Any good reasons why this is a bad idea?

I've had issues with the 2 locations for configure.log [for eg: in the
nightly builds] - so 1 location $PETSC_ARCH/conf is good for me.

But one potential problem: I don't think it can be directly built in
$PETSC_ARCH/conf as $PETSC_ARCH is sometimes determined quarter-way
through the configure process [and the dir $PETSC_ARCH/conf is created
then..]

So the logfile should get copied over at the end... [I'd like to keep
a link in PETSC_DIR to the latest configure.log - and perhaps make_log
aswell]

Satish