BuildSystem for PETSc+TAO

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 12 14:31:06 CST 2008

On Dec 12, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> When using petsc-2.3.3+tao-1.9, TAO does require that PETSc be built
> with C++. I believe this is just because a PETSc built with C cannot
> always provide enough info to TAO makefiles about the C++ compiler...
> However, when PETSc is built with a external that requires C++/mpicxx,
> then it seems some C++ stuff is configured even when core PETSc is
> compiled with C/mpicc.

    This is true.

> IMHO, this is a bit annoying, and could be done better and probably
> with no too much work...

    What is annoying, that "some C++ stuff is configured even when
core PETSc is

> compiled with C/mpicc." or that "TAO does require that PETSc be built
> with C++."
>

> Could PETSc BuildSystem try to configure both C and C++ despite the
> actual value of --with-clanguage ?? Does this make sense?

    In theory, of course, this is trivial. Because of its origins,
BuildSystem was
not designed to do a full proper configuration for both C and C++. It
would take some monkeying with the code and yes we cannot do that
before the release.