some problems with 'make install'

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Dec 2 13:31:02 CST 2008

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> I'm testing configure passing '--prefix=....', and after building, I do
> $ su -c 'make install'
>
> But then, some files ('configure.log', 'RDict.db') are left with
> 'root:root' owner and group. If you want to build/rebuild again, this
> fails bad.
>
> And you know, using 'sudo' is not always a chance, as depending on
> 'sudo' configuration, it does not preserve the environment.

I don't see configure.log - but I see build.log and default.log. These
should not cause conflict - but RDict.db does.

Matt would have to check this issue. Ideally most of these files
should not be created during 'make install'

As a hack - I can add os.remove('RDict.db') in config/installer.py

Satish