1.8.1 pnetcdf problem with relax-coord-bound

Michael MINETER m.mineter at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 06:41:52 CDT 2020

Hi
I am installing specific  versions of netcdf and pnetcdf to run the model CESM2.
I've hit a problem and would welcome your guidance please.

CESM  requests  pnetcdf 1.8.1  which I had built and tested with no problem with OpenMPI10.1.1 and gnu compilers.
However I then discovered that netcdf -c  needs to be configured with enable-relax-coord-bound
After the configure and make steps,  the test "make ptest" then fails at the first test.

Comparing the successful (without the enable-relax...) and that with -- enable-relax-coord-bound :

< *** TESTING C   pres_temp_4D_wr for writing file                   ------ pass
< *** TESTING C   pres_temp_4D_rd for reading file                   ------ pass

And with the enable-relax-coord-bound:

> *** TESTING C   pres_temp_4D_wr for writing file                   ------ Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 263: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> Error: pres_temp_4D_wr.c at line 265: NetCDF: Index exceeds dimension bound
> fail with 16 mismatches

Do I have to amend the test files or command in some way  now I have used the enable.,.. option  in configure?

Apologies if this is documented - I have been unable to find it if so.
Thanks for your attention
Mike

Dr Mike Mineter

School of GeoSciences