input/output errors from "make check"

Wei-keng Liao wkliao at eecs.northwestern.edu
Wed May 27 18:41:53 CDT 2015

Hi,

Those MPI error messages are expected if you are using OpenMPI or older versions of MPICH.
This error happens when trying to delete a non-existing file.
A correct MPI implementation should return MPI_ERR_NO_SUCH_FILE, instead of MPI_ERR_IO.
This has been fixed in the MPI-IO part of the latest MPICH release.
OpenMPI is copying the MPI-IO part of MPICH and has not updated to the latest yet.
You can safely ignore those error messages.

However, you should see the same error messages when testing C programs, i.e. nc_test.
Is it not the case for you?

As for the issue you encountered when using PGI compilers, can you send me the file config.log and show me the standard output on screen where the program hangs?

A successful run of "make check" should look like below.
Are you saying it does not show this first line when entering directory nf90_test?
*** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-1                              ------ pass

make[1]: Entering directory `... /PnetCDF/test/nf_test'
/bin/rm -f ./scratch.nc ./test.nc
./nf_test -c    -d .
./nf_test       -d .
*** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-1                                ------ pass
./nf_test -c -2 -d .
./nf_test -2    -d .
*** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-2                                ------ pass
./nf_test -c -5 -d .
./nf_test -5    -d .
*** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-5                                ------ pass
make[1]: Leaving directory `... /PnetCDF/test/nf_test'
make  -C nf90_test testing
make[1]: Entering directory `... /PnetCDF/test/nf90_test'
/bin/rm -f ./scratch.nc ./test.nc
./nf90_test -c    -d .
./nf90_test       -d .
*** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-1                              ------ pass
./nf90_test -c -2 -d .
./nf90_test -2    -d .
*** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-2                              ------ pass
./nf90_test -c -5 -d .
./nf90_test -5    -d .
*** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-5                              ------ pass
make[1]: Leaving directory `... /PnetCDF/test/nf90_test'

Wei-keng