input/output errors from "make check"

Carl Ponder cponder at nvidia.com
Wed May 27 17:41:17 CDT 2015

I'm building HPC tools on a shared cluster, and trying to "bulletproof"
them as much as possible by enabling all the capabilities and running
all the built-in validation tests.
In this case I'm building PNetCDF 1.6.0 using OpenMPI 1.8.5 and GCC/5.1.0.
Here are some oddities from the "make check" that I ran:

    ./nf_test       -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-1
    ------ pass
    ./nf_test -c -2 -d .
    ./nf_test -2    -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-2
    ------ pass
    ./nf_test -c -5 -d .
    ./nf_test -5    -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F77 ./nf_test for CDF-5
    ------ pass
    ./nf90_test       -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-1
    ------ pass
    ./nf90_test -c -2 -d .
    ./nf90_test -2    -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-2
    ------ pass
    ./nf90_test -c -5 -d .
    ./nf90_test -5    -d .
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    rank 0: MPI error (MPI_File_delete) : MPI_ERR_IO: input/output error
    *** TESTING F90 ./nf90_test for CDF-5
    ------ pass

So the tests are listed as passing, but the messages indicate that an
error had occurred.
Are there any global MPI settings that I need to make in order for these
tests to work?
Or did these tests really run OK?
Also when I used the PGI 15.5 compiler instead of the GCC compiler, I
got similar messages on the F77 tests.
But when it started the first F90 test, it hanged.