bad performance

Joeckel, Patrick Patrick.Joeckel at dlr.de
Fri Nov 20 09:32:35 CST 2009

Dear parallel-netCDF developers and -users,

I recently finished a test implementation of
parallel-netCDF in our Chemistry-Climate-Model
using the recent version 1.0.3 of the library.

Running it on an IBM Power6 system

uname -a
Linux p6012 2.6.16.60-0.42.7.1-ppc64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 12:20:42 CET 2009
ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

on 64 CPUs (i.e. 2 nodes), I detected that our "classical" gathering on
one CPU and output through the serial netCDF interface
is - for a typical application - 4.5 times faster (wall clock for I/O
output time step) than the parallel-netCDF implementation.

I guess (I hope !) that I am doing something wrong and further that you
can help me.
I appreciate any suggestion and I am happy to provide more information
that can help me to solve the problem.

Yours,

Patrick

 Dr. Patrick Joeckel
 Deutsches Zentrum fuer Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.
 in der Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft
 Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere

 Muenchner Strasse 20
 Oberpfaffenhofen, D-82234 Wessling